Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Scar & Curve at 10 Weeks Post Op Spinal Fusion

Here are a couple pictures of my scar from my T4-L4 Spinal Fusion (13 discs) at 10 weeks. If I had done this when they initially recommended it while I was in high school I would have been practically butchered and my scar would be large, scary, and possibly embarrassing. I am actually proud of this scar. This is still a pretty intense scar, as was the surgery and continues the recovery process to be. Intense. You really can barely notice it from 10 feet away.

Overall I am dealing very well. I get upset about once a week, which is pretty good for being stuck in your bedroom and house except for grocery store trips and drives involving Dom. It'll be fine once we get him back because luckily his mother lives in my old stomping grounds and my aunt lives about a two miles away so I will go to her house in the mornings and hang out and work while laying on the couch, hanging with my awesome family, and watching tv until Dom gets out of school. Again, there is no sacrifice too large when it comes to Kevin and Dom. Parents make sacrifices for the children. Not the other way around.

Anyhow, scar photos and new pictures of my back compared to old pictures of my back. It's amazing. The non-stop pain and never-ending discomfort can be overwhelming at times, but I am dealing with it better and better. I am more than half way there. It's gone by slowly, but I can take it. That's all that matters. In a few months I will be a totally new woman with a totally new back and Terminator spine and it will just become normal and I won't have constant discomfort and pain. Ahhh, how I am so looking forward to day. Not much longer.....



This was my old back 01/18/2012. Changed by Scoliosis I had since probably 10/11 and was diagnosed at 14. Notice how the right hip dips in and how the right shoulder is higher at the neck than the left shoulder is.

Scar at 10 Weeks.My hips and shoulders are so much straighter and closer to being even than they were before the surgery. My shoulders are basically perfect. Cosmetic reasons were not the point, just an added bonus by my genius surgeon.


This was 9 days after surgery, you can already see that my right hip doesn't dip in the way it used to. Even with the slightly creepy scar that TOTALLY freaks me out. I have three more I can't bear to post again they are in http://scolioticrantingnraving.blogspot.com/2012/02/pictures-of-my-old-and-new-spine.html. It just creeps me out and makes me hurt more. I am a total wimp when it comes to gore. Halloween Horror Nights is fake. This really creeps me out. 

My Scar At 10 Weeks Post Op - In the middle it's still totally numb. Probably for a 6 in circumference around the area where you can barely see my scar is all dead. It was all "dead" it was numb on my entire back because they tore all my muscles and ripped all my nerves and everything inside my back. It hurt inside and it hurt to touch my muscle, but my skin is still probably 40% numb. Very weird. All in all my scar is amazing.

4 comments:

  1. If you would have had your surgery in high school, you would have practically been butchered and your scar would have been possibly embarrassing? That's worded a little offensively. I had my spinal fusion when I was 14, 6 years ago, and my scar is glorious. I haven't been butchered in any way whatsoever. They fused my entire spine and cut open my back and my side (from the top of my spine in a U shape around my ribs, to the front side of my bottom rib) to correct an 85+ degree curve. Because I had my surgery at such a young age, I healed quickly.
    Enough with my rant, I'm glad you're doing well and your scar is healing very nicely. I do hope all discomfort is diminished quickly. Also, don't laze about ever! Get up and move constantly. You'll heal like a champ. Good luck to you and enjoy your new height!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say that because I am 27 years old and 14 years old for me was 10-15 years ago. Over a decade ago fusions for Scoliosis were performed in a very different way than in the last few years and currently. That was the entire reason I postponed my surgery so many years, was to wait for medical technology to advance. I apologize if it sounds offensive but you also have to keep in mind that at this the time this blog was written I was only 2 1/2 months post-op and on a lot of medications. Some things occasionally didn't come out as clearly as I would have liked. I apologize if so and you took offense.

    My scar looks amazing and I am thrilled with the outcome. I think I tend to overdue it a little so I still have a lot of swelling, discomfort and pain, but it is getting better. Slowly but surely. Thank you.

    I am glad to hear that you have made a full recovery! Success stories really keep people pushing on and not lazing about, as you said. Good luck to you too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god... hope you are fine... why don't ypou talk to your doctor or consult some other doctor to know the fact... SeeSpinal Fusion Surgery are useful at times... Rather than fighting every day with your pain just consult with the doctor Take care and thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scoliosis surgery hospitals in India - Are you planning for a medical tour to India from any country in the world? If yes then Al Afiya Medi Tour is one of the best medical tourism companies that offer all types of medical facilities at affordable prices. We help you to find the best scoliosis surgery hospitals in India, top oncologists in top Indian cities like Delhi NCR, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida, Mumbai, Chennai and so on for all kinds of cancers. For more visit:
    Spine surgery in India

    Spine tumor treatment in India

    ReplyDelete